Most Active Stories
- Hobby Lobby Ruling A Win For Kansas City Construction Company
- The Story Behind Kansas City's House Of Cards
- Neighborhoods In Kansas City's Historic Northeast Move Beyond City Ordinance
- Missouri And Kansas Among Worst States For New Parents
- Johnson County Ranked One Of The 'Easiest' Places To Live In U.S.
Mon January 21, 2013
Inaugural Poet Richard Blanco
During the President’s inauguration ceremony on Monday, Richard Blanco delivered a poem written especially for this occasion. At age 44, he is not only the youngest, but the first Latino and openly gay poet to have this honor.
In September 2012, Blanco visited UMKC as one of the Bernardin-Haskell speakers for National Hispanic Heritage Month with the Latino Studies Program. He was recorded at Language Resource Center by New Letters on the Air. (For more on this visit, check the Letra Latinas blog).
Poet Richard Blanco wrote and read the poem "One Today" in honor of President Obama’s inauguration.