Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Mon August 11, 2014
Identifying And Teaching 'English Language Learners'
In many school districts, immigrant students with low English comprehension aren't always immediately identified as needing ESL (English as a Second Language) courses when they enroll. A new proposal in Kansas City, Missouri would help identify these students earlier so they have access to the assistance they need. We look at this program as well as the latest trends in ESL education.
- Allyson Hile, director of language services, Kansas City Public Schools
- Azael Leon, former middle school English as a Second Language Student
- Paul Markham, associate professor, Department of Curriculum and Teaching, University of Kansas School of Education