Members of Congress will soon be asked to decide whether to support President Barack Obama's request for authorization to attack the Syrian regime of Bashar al-Assad. Assad's regime allegedly used chemical weapons on civilians and rebels in an attack last month. Here is a round-up of what we know so far from congress members in Kansas and Missouri.
Kansas Congressional Delegation:
- Republican Sen. Jerry Moran: No
- Republican Sen. Pat Roberts: No
- Republican Rep. Tim Huelskamp, 1st District (Western Kansas): No
- Republican Rep. Lynn Jenkins 2nd District (Topeka, Lawrence): No
- Republican Rep. Kevin Yoder, 3rd District (Johnson and Wyandotte Counties): No
- Republican Rep. Mike Pompeo, 4th District (Wichita): Yes
Missouri Congressional Delegation:
- Democratic Sen. Claire Mccaskill: Undecided
- Republican Sen. Roy Blunt: No
- Democratic Rep. William Lacy Clay, 1st District (St. Louis): Undecided
- Republican Rep. Ann Wagner, 2nd District: sees "no clear or achievable... objectives."
- Republican Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer, 3rd District (Surrounding St. Louis): will "likely oppose the president's proposal."
- Republican Rep.Vicky Hartzler, 4th District (West-central Missouri): Undecided
- Democratic Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, 5th District (Kansas City-Jackson County): Undecided
- Republican Rep. Sam Graves, 6th District (Northern Missouri, including St. Joesph): Undecided
- Republican Rep. Billy Long, 7th District: remains "skeptical of involving our country in another country's civil war."
- Republican Rep. Jason Smith, 8th District: has "serious concerns."