Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Mon April 28, 2014
How Does Yelp Affect Restaurants?
Online restaurant reviews on sites like Yelp and Urban Spoon have become an integral part of the restaurant industry today. Central Standard host Gina Kaufmann explores the credibility of these user reviews. Do they change the way chefs and restaurant staff manage their business?
"When it started out, I took it [reviews] very very personally," says Howard Hanna, chef of The Rieger Hotel Grill & Exchange. "It hurts to read that something you've poured yourself into and tried really hard to create, in fact work your whole life to create, to hear somebody make fun of it or really hate it or just miss the point of it is hard to read."
"There's definitely a place for it [online reviewing,] and whether we like it or not it's a really important part of our business," says Hanna.