Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- KCUR Announces New Host For Daily Talk Show 'Central Standard'
Mon December 22, 2008
How To Beat Holiday Stress
Kansas City, MO – All around us, we're bombarded with music and images of happy families enjoying holiday festivities. But for many of us, the image of the ideal family enjoying a perfect holiday is far from reality. Racing through malls and grocery stores can be stressful. Single mothers exhaust themselves trying to create the holiday for their children, and often on a shoestring budget. And then long-simmering family conflicts can suddenly ruin the mood at the holiday dinner table. Plus, death, divorce and estrangement from loved ones can make holidays feel sad and lonely.
So, no matter what your circumstance, how can you beat holiday stress? Susan spoke to social worker Joe Beck, director of therapy for Spofford, a child and family treatment center.