Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Mon August 17, 2009
Historical Mystery Solved At Fort Osage
Kansas City, MO – Next month, the National Historic Landmark of Fort Osage will turn 201 years old. In archeological time, that's just a blink of an eye. But for Missourians, the establishment of Fort Osage marks the start of the United States settlements in this area. Fort Osage has been the subject of study for nearly 70 years, but there's still a lot to learn and new technology brought in from the world of geo-sciences is now making it possible to dig even deeper into the history of our region. KCUR's Alex Smith has the story.
Fort Osage curator and archeologist John Peterson and UMKC Associate Professor Jejung Lee talk about their collaboration.