Most Active Stories
- Historians Recommend The Best 20 Books About Kansas City
- Report: Medicaid Expansion In Missouri Would Yield Up to $100M In Annual Savings
- First-Ever National Coal Ash Regs Disappoint Missouri Environmentalists
- School Closings In The Kansas City Metro For January 7
- How The Kansas-Missouri State Line Became A Road
12th Street Jump
Sat April 14, 2012
Happy Birthday To Mr. Lionel Hampton
This week on 12th Street Jump, we celebrate the April 20 birthday of vibraphonist Lionel Hampton with special guest Peter Schlamb.
We have a surprise appearance from a acclaimed jazz award winner, and on the funny side of things, Dr. Pearl prescribes some straight advice to some crooked thinking and we play “So, Whats Your Question?” with Princess Kate.
Kentucky-born and University of Southern California-educated Lionel Hampton joined the Benny Goodman trio, making it the Benny Goodman Quartet, in 1936. Both the Trio and the Quartet were among the first racially integrated jazz groups and also were some of the only small jazz groups during a big band era.
Hampton died in 2002; his final performance was in 2001 at the Smithsonian National Museum.
"King of the Vibraharp, Master of the Drums, Lionel Hampton!" See if you can keep your feet still...
Song list from the show: Moten’s Swing/The Man I Love/Goodbye Pork Pie Hat/Cherokee/Hey Ba-Ba-Re-Bop/Flying Home