Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Thu December 6, 2012
Great War Memorial Plan Inches Forward
Kansas City’s Congressman won’t guarantee passage of a bill that would make Liberty Memorial the nation’s official World War One Museum and Memorial.
However the measure has passed from House committee with unanimous support.
Language of the bill was introduced by Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill last year.
A similar measure passed the house three years ago but languished and died in the Senate.
This time, House co-sponsor Congressman Emanuel Cleaver said the mood for cooperation looks promising.
“I’m always cautious but it does look good, and this would be a great gift for our community during the upcoming holiday season,” Cleaver said.
The current measure has bipartisan sponsors. Cleaver is a Democrat, Lloyd “Ted” Poe of Texas a Republican.
This bill also mandates a First World War memorial in District of Columbia and sets up a commission to observe the War’s centennial.