Most Active Stories
- Historians Recommend The Best 20 Books About Kansas City
- Report: Medicaid Expansion In Missouri Would Yield Up to $100M In Annual Savings
- First-Ever National Coal Ash Regs Disappoint Missouri Environmentalists
- School Closings In The Kansas City Metro For January 7
- LISTEN: Kansas City Poet Stanley Banks On Driving While Black
Tue July 5, 2011
Girl Critical, Bullet Not Firework
By Dan Verbeck
KANSAS CITY, MO. – Investigators are plagued by unknowns in the wounding of a pre teen age girl at her East Kansas City home overnight.
The unidentified 11 year old girl was found shot in the neck in the back yard of her home near 43rd and Pittman Road last evening. Whoever made the phone call for help said she had been injured by fireworks .
Police Captain Steve Young said late this afternoon-- "The most recent update I have is that she remains in critical condition and, in terms of what happened, it's still wide open from what I understand. Everything's on the table right now."
Young says from the amount of fireworks being shot off last evening, it might have been possible to assume that was what injured the girl.
There have been no arrests.