Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
The Best Of Fresh Air 2011
Sat December 31, 2011
Fresh Air Weekend: The Critics' Best Of 2011 Lists
Originally published on Mon December 3, 2012 9:14 am
Fresh Air Weekend highlights some of the best interviews and reviews from past weeks, and new program elements specially paced for weekends. Our weekend show emphasizes interviews with writers, filmmakers, actors, and musicians, and often includes excerpts from live in-studio concerts. This week:
David Bianculli Picks The Best (And Worst) TV Of 2011: Fresh Air's TV critic reveals his top 10 list of the year's best shows, from a political drama on Showtime to a "risky" comedy on ABC. Bianculli also reveals which shows are the worst to hit screens this year — including not one but two shows featuring Snooki.
Ken Tucker's Top 10: The Year In Music: Fresh Air's critic looks back on a fruitful year and lists his favorite music releases of 2011.
David Edelstein's 2011 Top 10 Films: From a white-knuckle Wall Street chronicle to a modernized Shakespearean war story, the films on David Edelstein's best-of-the-year list tell solid stories new and old.
Year-End Picks From Maureen Corrigan: 2011 was a terrific year for books — both from first-time novelists and much-decorated veterans. Maureen Corrigan's recommendations range from Karen Russell's dazzling debut, to David Foster Wallace's posthumously published novel, to what may be the Sept. 11 novel by Amy Waldman.
You can listen to the complete broadcasts for these interviews here:
- David Bianculli Picks The Best (And Worst) TV Of 2011
- Ken Tucker's Top 10: The Year In Music
- David Edelstein's 2011 Top 10 Films
- Year-End Picks From Maureen Corrigan