Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- KCUR Announces New Host For Daily Talk Show 'Central Standard'
Central Standard Friday
Fri July 26, 2013
Food Critics: Chilled Dishes
When the thermometer soars past 90 degrees, the idea of a hot meal sounds a lot less alluring than a bowl of cool fruit salad. They say that spicy food can actually cool you down, and if you’re sweating before you even pick up a fork – perhaps you’re willing to try anything?
On today’s edition of Central Standard, we beat the summer heat by taking a culinary tour into Coolsville: icy salads, chilled soups, glacial goodies, Siberian sandwiches, and frozen desserts.
A bowl of gazpacho may not be as hardy as a plate of steaming pasta, but when you’ve reached your boiling point, it goes down a whole lot easier.
Here are the cool dishes the guests and callers talked about on the show:
- Gazpacho, Anton's Tap Room - 1610 Main Street, Kansas City, Mo.
- Gazpacho and ceviche, Extra Virgin - 1900 Main Street, Kansas City, Mo.
- Gazpacho, Grand Street Cafe - 4740 Grand Avenue, Kansas City, Mo.
- Gazpacho and watermelon salad, Cafe Sebastienne at the Kemper Museum, 4420 Warwick Boulevard, Kansas City, Mo.
- Ceviche, Story - 3931 West 69th Terrace, Prairie Village, Kan.
- Ceviche and shrimp cocktail, El Patron 2906 Southwest Boulevard, Kansas City, Mo.
- Salads, The Mixx - Country Club Plaza and Power & Light District, Kansas City, Mo.
- Watermelon salad, Voltaire - 1617 Genessee, Kansas City, Mo.
- Chilled soups, Uncommon Stock - (available at several locations)
- Chilled soups, Cafe Provence - 3936 West 69th Terrace, Prairie Village, Kan.
- Cold strawberry soup, You Say Tomato - 2801 Holmes, Kansas City, Mo.
- Shrimp cocktail, El Torito - 4901 St John Avenue, Kansas City, Mo.
- Shrimp dish, El Bonito Michoacan - 1150 Minnesota, Kansas City, Kan.
- Seafood tower, Capital Grille - 4740 Jefferson Street, Kansas City, Mo.
- Caprese salad, Jasper's - 1201 West 103rd Street, Kansas City, Mo.
- Caprese sandwich, Carollo's Italian Deli - 20 East 5th Street, Kansas City, Mo.
- Quinoa salad, Axiois - two locations, Kansas City, Mo.
- Soda, Little Freshie - 811 West 17th Street, Kansas City, Mo.
New and noteworthy:
- Potbelly Sandwich Shop - 4725 Broadway, Kansas City, Mo.
- Reyna's Bakery - 727 Kansas Avenue, Kansas City, Kan.
- Dips And Sips - 5735 Johnson Drive, Mission, Kan.
- Bier Station - 120 East Gregory Boulevard, Kansas City, Mo.
- Novel - 815 West 17th Street, Kansas City, Mo.
- Pork And Pickle - Terminal B (Southwest) at KCI airport
- Standee's - 3935 West 39th Terrace, Prairie Village, Kan.
- Conrad's - 210 North State Route 291, Liberty, Mo.
- The Big Biscuit - 5400 West 95th Street, Prairie Village, Kan.