Kansas City has always been a great place for baked goods. Cakes, pies, cream puffs and breads have all been important to the growth of this town as a cosmopolitan and corpulent community. On this episode of Central Standard Friday Charles Ferruzza, Mary Bloch, Emily Farris, and Gloria Gale extend their forks to all parts of the metro to uncover the best bakeries offering the most decadent doughnuts, the crustiest baguettes, and the flakiest cinnamon rolls.
Here are some of the Food Critics latest picks for local food:
- The Point | 917 W 44th St, Kansas City, MO 64121 (Emily): fried-egg sandwich - with tomato jam, KC’s Best Burger - Farm to Market bun, “Magic buns” plus sweet potato waffle fries, wings in three different ways - the chili wings rocked her world
- Blanc - Mission Farms (Mary): They have a new Menu with Chicken Caprese Sandwich
- Hollywood Casino (Gloria)
- Legends (Gloria)
- The Final Cut - the fine dining steak house - elegant, Duck fat fries - amazing! $8
- Marquee lounge (Gloria): Waffles, fried chicken and adult milkshakes are to die for
- The Jacobson | 2050 Central - back of lulu’s (Gloria): Grilled Sea Scallops with a cup of tomato bisque
- Clark’s American Caribbean 36th and Broadway: Serving American Classic Soul Food Dishes & Caribbean, dinner only for a while
- The Basha: Mediterranean
- New Parisi at Park Place: Serve cocktails that are pre mixed
- Cellar and Loft at Walnut street in the river market - wine on tap
- Hickock’s: Pretty Good - Mexican bar food
- Orange Box, across from the crossroads: Gourmet Food on the Go and the Cubana was highly reviewed by caller
- Parisi: Grab and Go Foods, prepared by PB&J restaurant group
- Vivalore in Independence
- Farm to Market Bread Company
- Hen House
- Le monde - North of the River, Armour Road
- Slivinskis Bakery: "Melt-in-your-mouth apple fritter"
- Butterfly Kisses Bakery in Belton: "Great pies, cookies"
- Best Regards: Known for using quality ingredients
- Pasteleria Osuna
- Dolce in Prairie Village KS: Croissants "best kept secret but get there early!"
- Natasha’s Mulberry & Mott at Dagwoods on SW Boulevard: "Best Cinnamon Roll on Earth"
- John’s Space Age Doughnuts at 8124 Floyd near Metcalf
- Icing on the Cake: It is not retail so call ahead
- Cafe Le Monde at 308 Armour Rd, Kansas City, MO 64116: Hi Hat coffee carries the pastries
- The Upper Crust
- Sweet Tooth in Blue Springs
- Turtle: "their cookie will change your life"
- Big Mama’s
- KC Doughnuts in Olathe
- French B Bakery in Parkville
- Galley’s in Holden, MO: "Cricket the baker makes pies - different flavors once a week"
Bakeries for People with Allergies:
- Mud Pie Vegan Bakery - 39th Street: Vegan and gluten-free Wednesdays