Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Wed April 29, 2009
First Suspected Case Of Swine Flu In Missouri
Jefferson City, MO – An unidentified resident of Platte County may be the first Missourian to contract swine flu. KWMU's Marshall Griffin reports.
State health officials have sent a virus sample taken from the anonymous patient to the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta to verify whether he or she has swine flu.
In the meantime, Governor Jay Nixon says the state will begin distributing its stockpile of influenza drugs: "The first shipment will go to the Platte County health officials, and then we will disburse the rest of these anti-viral drugs out across the Show-Me State."
Nixon says state health officials are working to find out who may have been in contact with the unidentified patient, and his or her family members will also be monitored.