Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Tue November 27, 2012
Feds Recognize Kansas Office For Excellence
A Kansas office that handles Social Security applications is being recognized by the federal government.
The Disability Determination Services office processes Kansas applications for certain Social Security programs. The federal government recognized the Topeka office for being more accurate and more efficient than the national average.
Kansas Governor Sam Brownback also thanked workers at the office for their efforts to root out fraud. He says they helped uncover more than 80 fraudulent claims last year, saving taxpayers more than $12 million.
“Everybody wants the people that need to get care and services to get it, but they don’t want people that are gaming the system to get it. And a lot of times this is kind of hard to dig out and figure out,” says Brownback.
This is the seventh year in a row that the Disability Determination Services office has been recognized for outstanding performance by the federal government.