Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Sun August 28, 2005
Excerpt from Imam Hassan Al-Qazwini
By Laura Ziegler
Kansas City, MO – There weren't many people in the audience when Imam Hassan Al-Qazwini spoke at the Day's Inn in south Kansas CityWednesday night.
That's probably because most Kansas Citians aren't familiar with the Imam. He's the head cleric of the Islamic Center of America, the largest mosque in the country, located in Dearborn, Michigan.
But he's become, by all accounts, a leading voice for Muslims in America. He's worked nationally with Christians and Jews for peace and reconciliation in the wake of terrorist incidents here and abroad. He has been sought after for his scholarly perspective on Islam and has met with both Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush to discuss issues related to the Islamic community and national policy.
In his remarks, Imam Qazwini said most Americans know nothing about Islam except what they hear on the news. This is a severly distorted image, he says, and it's the responsibility of Muslims to set the record straight.