Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Wed May 28, 2008
Economic Development on Kansas City's East Side
By Susan Wilson
Kansas City, MO – Mayor Funkhouser plans to issue a report from his New Tools symposium next month. Two of the participants at the mayor's symposium feel they didn't focus enough on the role of the developer. As liaisons between the public and private sectors, urban developers build the case for why redeveloping distressed neighborhoods can make good business sense. Charles Gatson has been nationally recognized in the field of urban redevelopment for his work with Swope Community Builders. He's now a principal with Prairie Dog Development Company, as is former city councilman Kenneth Bacchus is also a principal of the company.
Hear last week's coverage of Ollie Gates' Black Heritage District concept, and a conversation with Jeff Kaczmarak of the Kansas City's Economic Development Corporation by following the links below.