Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Tue November 3, 2009
Dutch Pianist Mastered Classic KC Jazz Techniques
When the Majestic Steakhouse in downtown Kansas City shut down in May, Bram Wijnands was forced to look for a new way to spend his Friday and Saturday nights. For the previous 16 years, the Dutch pianist had delivered authentic 1930s KC-style swing and boogie woogie in the cellar which once served as a speakeasy.
By Alex Smith
Kansas City, MO – Bram Wijnands hasn't had too much trouble getting other work; he's now performing regularly at Jardine's and Chaz on the Plaza and Caf? Augusta in Lenexa. He recently stopped by KCUR tell Alex Smith how, as a child in the Netherlands, he learned to master the jazz piano styles of Kansas City.
The music in this piece comes from his album, Stompin' on Main Street. Wijnands is performing at Jardines on Tuesday, November 2, 2009 and with his Majestic Seven band on Sunday, November 11, 2009.