Most Active Stories
- How The Royals Chose Between Two Of The Coolest Songs Ever
- Here Are The Prophetic Lyrics To Viral 'Royals' Parody Song
- The Story Behind The 'Royal' Newspaper Every Kansas Citian Will Save
- KU Hospital: Patient Admitted Monday At 'Low To Moderate Risk' Of Ebola
- How One Royals Fan Is Sprinkling A Little Magic On Kauffman Stadium
Up to Date
Mon June 9, 2014
Delving Into Debate
High school debate competitions are about more than just arguing over one issue. Fierce rivalries on the floor become close friendships when the dust settles, and the skills kids are learning can propel them far beyond the local classroom.
In the second part of Monday's Up to Date, we talk about the relevance and benefits of participating in high school debate and speech and why it’s so popular with students.
- Issac Allen, program director of DEBATE Kansas City at UMKC.
- Jamelle Brown, speech and debate coach and teacher at Sumner Academy
- Aliyah Shaw, sophomore at Sumner Academy
HEAR MORE: The National Speech & Debate Tournament runs June 15-20 in Overland Park. Click here for the tournament details.