Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Thu October 15, 2009
Deadly Gas Sends Couple To Hospital
Overland Park, KS – An Overland Park, Kansas couple narrowly escaped death in a house filled with carbon monoxide.
The two story house just west of Metcalf on 115th street had a badly defective furnace. Jason Rhodes of Overland Park Fire Department said inspectors later found flames licking out of apertures where they were not supposed to be, gas fire seeking oxygen when little could be found. He described it as a badly malfunctioning furnace. The couple had been in the house overnight, exposed to carbon monoxide for hours with levels getting higher. Rhodes says the man and woman were fortunate to realize something was wrong and call for help. Firefighters rescued the couple. They were taken to a hospital for treatment.
Rhodes said the carbon monoxide levels on second floor were twenty times higher than acceptable .
Early in the heating season is a prime time for furnace malfunctions. Rhodes says not enough people respect the inherent dangers of carbon monoxide it's undetectable to smell, taste or sight. Area fire departments promote installation of detectors. Rhodes said the Overland Park mishap could be considered an educational tool and one with a satisfactory conclusion.