Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
Thu April 19, 2012
Daytime Curfew Stalls Again
Wednesday saw still another debate in city council chambers on a proposal for having police pick up kids who skip school and fining their parents.
The parade of pros and cons included a pitch for the ordinance from former mayor pro-tem Alvin Brooks and one against it from Councilwoman Melba Curls.
Councilman Michael Brooks was also among the opponents. He said he won't support the daytime curfew unless schools provide more truancy officers, reopen alternative schools and start using in-school suspensions.
The committee split on the vote to advance the ordinance and ended up putting it on the semiannual docket, which schedules it for reconsideration in July.