Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Contentious Views Dominate Female Bishop's Tenure
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
Thu January 10, 2013
Crime & Safety In The Urban Core
In 2008, elected officials and urban residents came together under the direction of 2nd District Jackson County Legislator, Bishop James Tindall, Sr. to discuss community change in the urban core. This was the first convening of the Kansas City Urban Summit.
On Thursday's Central Standard, we'll be joined by Keith Brown, chair of the crime committee for the summit, Randy Hopkins, Deputy Chief of the KCPD Investigations Bureau, and Autherine Simmons, whose daughter's murder remains unsolved to this day. They discuss the violence that has unfortunately become a part of everyday life in certain parts of the metro.
The Kansas City Urban Summit convenes again this year on January 12th, at Penn Valley Community College. The event is free and will feature several workshops, a youth conference, and a keynote speech by Rev. Dr. Raphael Warnock, Senior Pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church, Atlanta, GA.