Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Wed April 20, 2011
Committee Endorses Plaza Office Building
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – A proposed high-rise office building on the Country Club Plaza was endorsed by the city council planning and zoning committee despite passionate statements by a number of objectors.
Among those testifying against the plan were descendants of J. C. Nichols, the founder of the Plaza.
The resolutions as endorsed by the committee include the intention of a protective "overlay" plan for the existing retail area of the Plaza.
Opponents are not happy with that concession, saying it would still allow the current owner, Highwoods Properties to change the use of 150,000 square feet of current retail space without approval by the Board of Zoning Adjustment.
That would be in addition to the proposed office building, for which Highwoods says it is not absolutely certain it still has a tenant.