Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Fri February 22, 2013
Closing Of St. Mary's School Reflects Declining Enrollment In Catholic Schools
The St. Mary's community is reeling from what they feel was the abrupt and insensitive way the diocese of Kansas City and St. Joseph closed their 160-year-old school. Many of the families in the Independence, Sugar Creek and Blue Springs areas are alums and have children and grandchildren there.
But the diocese says closing the 160-year-old school was strictly a business decision; the diocese couldn't pay the bills to keep the school open. The reason, they say, is the tumbling enrollment. Only seven students enrolled for the 2013-2014 freshman class.
High School Sports