Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Fri November 19, 2010
Church Opens Fitness Center to Combat Health Problems
Kansas City, MO – Reverend Eric Williams of Calvary Temple Baptist Church in midtown has worked for a long time on health issues in the African American community. A few years ago, he says he was tired of seeing people suffering and dying from health problems related to obesity and lack of exercise. So his church formed a non-profit and eventually built a gym right next door. The Calvary Community Wellness Center opened in 2008.
As part of KC Currents' special show on nutrition and fitness, KCUR's Sylvia Maria Gross stopped by to check it out.
Tune in to hear the entire broadcast of KC Currents, taped at the Lucille H. Bluford Branch of the Kansas City Public Library, on Sunday, November 21 at 5pm, with a repeat Monday at 8pm.