Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- New President And CEO For The National World War I Museum
Mon January 19, 2009
Chen Yi: From the Path of Beauty
In Kansas City recently, the all-male vocal group, Chanticleer and the Shanghai Quartet continued the world premiere tour of Chen Yi's From the Path of Beauty.
By Laura Spencer
Kansas City, MO – A Kansas City-based composer, Chen Yi has taught for the last decade at the UMKC Conservatory of Music and Dance. KCUR's Laura Spencer has this profile.
Chen Yi's works have been described as having an "immediate signature: a blending of Western and Eastern influences and a buoyant enthusiasm." That's also evident when you meet Chen in person.
One of her recent commissions includes From the Path of Beauty. It's a song cycle, commissioned by Chanticleer and the Shanghai Quartet for their respective 30th and 25th anniversaries. It's composed in seven movements, and each is devoted to a different period in Chinese history and a different aesthetic approach...all in under 40 minutes.
The Friends of Chamber Music presented Chanticleer with the Shanghai String Quartet, From the Path of Beauty with world premiere tour of work by Chen Yi and pieces by Ravel and Ligeti, Saturday, January 17, 8 pm, Folly Theater