Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Mon January 19, 2009
Chen Yi: From the Path of Beauty
In Kansas City recently, the all-male vocal group, Chanticleer and the Shanghai Quartet continued the world premiere tour of Chen Yi's From the Path of Beauty.
By Laura Spencer
Kansas City, MO – A Kansas City-based composer, Chen Yi has taught for the last decade at the UMKC Conservatory of Music and Dance. KCUR's Laura Spencer has this profile.
Chen Yi's works have been described as having an "immediate signature: a blending of Western and Eastern influences and a buoyant enthusiasm." That's also evident when you meet Chen in person.
One of her recent commissions includes From the Path of Beauty. It's a song cycle, commissioned by Chanticleer and the Shanghai Quartet for their respective 30th and 25th anniversaries. It's composed in seven movements, and each is devoted to a different period in Chinese history and a different aesthetic approach...all in under 40 minutes.
The Friends of Chamber Music presented Chanticleer with the Shanghai String Quartet, From the Path of Beauty with world premiere tour of work by Chen Yi and pieces by Ravel and Ligeti, Saturday, January 17, 8 pm, Folly Theater