Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Cops & Crime
Thu April 4, 2013
Charges Say KCK Mother Tried To Kill Her Daughters
The Kansas City, Kansas mother of two little girls is expected in court on Friday to face charges she tried to kill them.
The one- and four-year-old girls have been in critical condition since the near-drowning on Tuesday.
Investigators said in documents used to file charges, that 23-year-old Johnna Green held the children under water until they lost consciousness.
Green is charged with two counts of attempted first-degree murder.
Wyandotte County District Attorney Jerome Gorman said the father of the one-year-old lived at the South 52nd Street house where medics were called to give aid, but the mother was alone with the children that day.
It was a 9-1-1 call that brought help.
Police Chief Rick Amstrong told reporters later a chaplain worked with first responders because, as he put it, violence to a small child tends to break through their natural armor, because “children injured or harmed are especially vulnerable. And I think it affects our personnel when they’re dealing with that.”
Gorman said a judge has appointed a lawyer for the mother and she is being held on a $1 million bond.