Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Thu June 28, 2007
Charges Filed Against Abortion Provider
By Steve Bell
Kansas City, MO – Kansas Attorney General Paul Morrison did Thursday what Phill Kline and abortion opponents said he would never do - file charges against Wichita abortion provider Dr. George Tiller. KCUR's Steve Bell reports.
- - - - -
Morrison says the 19 charges he filed stem from 2003 medical records subpoenaed by his predecessor, Phill Kline. Morrison says as he and his staff studied the records, they recognized what he called a disturbing pattern with respect to a technicality about what is required for a late term abortion of a viable fetus to be legal.
Morrison: The law is very clear that because this is such an important procedure that when two doctors sign off on this procedure that... they can't be in cahoots...And what we found is that we believe there's a violation of that.
Morrison says there is evidence that the concurring physician on the reports was legally and financially associated with tiller. Each of the 19 counts carries a possible $2500 fine and a one year prison sentence. Steve Bell, KCUR News.