Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
12th Street Jump
Fri February 10, 2012
Celebrating The Birthday Of Benny "King" Curtis
This week on 12th Street Jump we celebrate the birthday of King Curtis with our special guest Jim Mair. The wives on the campaign trail get some advice from Dr. Pearl and the Sax Therapist helps a married couple get their spark back.
Curtis was an influential figure in the jazz world from the 1930s through the 1990s. He was known for his saxophone and trumpet playing, as well as his compositions and arrangements, many of which became jazz and swing standards.
Curtis played with orchestras in New York, Europe and Hollywood and recorded with a long list of jazz greats, including Missouri/Kansas native Coleman Hawkins.
In 1986, Curtis received the NEA Jazz Masters Award, the highest honor for a jazz musician.
I Want A Little Girl
Ode To Billie Joe