Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Mon August 3, 2009
Caught Unaware: Leavenworth Shocked At Gitmo Update
Leavenworth, KS – Leavenworth city leaders say they were shocked at a wire service report putting their community very close to getting Guantanamo detainees. Local tactics are about to change. KCUR's Dan Verbeck was in Leavenworth and filed a report.
Mayor Shay Baker thought there wasn't much chance the fort and its disciplinary barracks would survive to a short list. Too many negatives. Then the Associated Press report that choices had narrowed to a Michigan prison and the fort's maximum lockup. Now Baker wants to tell her anti-move-to-Kansas story to someone at the White House.
"I would request that the President come out to Fort Leavenworth and see the facility, see what is actually going on at Fort Leavenworth and see the Leavenworth community and how this would impact us," says Baker.
Ultimately, Baker does not rule out going to court to stop the move.