Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- KCUR Announces New Host For Daily Talk Show 'Central Standard'
Mon August 10, 2009
Burials In Lawrence Go Green
Kansas City, MO – These days a lot of industries are greening their operations, to appeal to the environmentally-conscious consumer, or the eco-chic. And the funeral industry is no exception. Green burials are a growing trend across the nation. On January 1, 2009, the city commission in Lawrence, Kansas set aside a third of an acre in the Oak Hill Cemetery to host this alternative burial option. That makes Oak Hill the closest green burial site in the Kansas City area. But the idea will take a little while to catch on; only three plots have been sold so far. KCUR's Ashly Kissman got to speak to a woman who owns one of them.