Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- New President And CEO For The National World War I Museum
Up to Date
Wed December 14, 2011
The Book Doctors' Top Picks For 2011
Tablets and readers might soon supplant the printed word, but there's nothing quite like snuggling up with a great book on a cold winter day. In the interest of keeping you cooped up in just that condition, the Book Doctors share their favorite page-flippers from the past year on Wednesday's Up to Date. Whether you're looking for literature for yourself or your loved ones, our panel of readers is sure to find something that fits just right.
Our Book Doctor's Best of 2011 List
Mark Luce, senior dean at the Barstow School:
- The Outlaw Album by Daniel Woodrell (Listen to Up to Date's interview with Woodrell)
- Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (Listen to our interview with Selznick)
- The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides
Jeffrey Anne Goudie, freelance writer and reviewer:
- State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
- Blue Nights by Joan Didion
- Bent Road by Lori Roy
Steve Paul, Kansas City Star senior writer and editor:
- Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard (Listen to our interview with Millard)
- Swamplandia! by Karen Russell
- Hemingway's Boat by Paul Hendrickson