Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Thu January 26, 2012
Bike Rentals Wheel Into KC
Residents will soon have new way to get around downtown Kansas City. The advocacy group BikeWalkKC, with help from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas City, has announced its launching a bike share program.
Starting this summer, bikes will be available, for a fee, at 20 kiosks around downtown. BikeWalkKC says the system will provide a cheap, easy and healthy way for people to get between popular downtown spots.
During this afternoon’s city council meeting, council member Jan Marcason lauded the effort.
“It’s going to be a really wonderful addition to the transportation options in our community,” said Marcason. “These are the types of things that bring young people who want to live in Kansas City - and those of us who live here very, very proud of how we are addressing issues like alternative transportation.”
The council then passed a resolution in support of the bike rental program and promised to put in more bike lanes between Crown Center and the River Market.
Already, bike shares have popped up in several other cities, including Chicago and D.C.
Follow KCUR health news on Twitter.