Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Mon March 14, 2011
Big Donor Draw Drips Dollars in KC Mayor Quest
KANSAS CITY, MO. – Barely a week before Kansas City's municipal election the two candidates for mayor are showing the money." Sly James has the bigger campaign coffer.
One thing that's the same between candidates accounting files: law firms. Both Mike Burke and James' input reports show more lawyers and law firms donating than we have space to mention here.
Overall, James has taken in a little more than $800 thousand to Burke's 440 thousand. Burke is in debt on his campaign by some $120 thousand whereas Sly James doesn't owe anything.
Candidates can accept up to $3 thousand from a single donor in the general election.
James' big givers include KCP&L and the Heavy Constructors Association political action committee. Burke's includes the Carpenters local 311 PAC, developer Charles Garney and Boulevard Brewing.
None of this is likely to be mentioned in the swarm of ads you'll be seeing and hearing with the election one week away.