The Best Eats In Kansas City's Historic Northeast
This year, KCUR is embarking on a project called "Beyond Our Borders," an attempt to take a closer look at the cultural and geographical borders in Kansas City.
The first border we are examining is Troost Avenue, which acts as a racial and socioeconomic dividing line in Kansas City's urban core.
Part of this ongoing conversation about Troost included the Historic Northeast in Kansas City, a part of town that is well known for its racial, cultural and socioeconomic diversity. On Thursday's Central Standard, guests Charles Ferruzza and Bobbi Baker-Hughes sat down with Gina Kaufmann to highlight the cuisine that comes part and parcel with that diversity.
Here are their picks for the best restaurants in the Northeast:
- Al-Rahman Halal- 2202 Lexington Ave.
- Taqueria El Torito- 6126 Independence Ave.
- Hobo’s Grill & Bar- 1036 N Agnes Ave
- Eleo’s Coffee House- 3401 E. Independence Ave.
- La Hamburguesa Loca- 3009 Independence Ave.
- Elvira’s Cakes- 3838 Independence Ave.
- El Paso Del Norte- 3430 Independence Ave.
- Willy’s Burritos-6106 St. John Ave.
- iPho Tower (formerly Pho Hoa, opening soon) - 1447 Independence Ave.