Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Thu February 18, 2010
Bannister Complex Air Safe, More Tests to Come
Kansas City , Mo. – The old Bannister Federal Complex passed round one of EPA testing for hazardous pollution this week, but there are more tests to follow.
The environmental agency remained silent until the results were in. Volatile solvents, some of them carcinogens, have left no traces at the old Honeywell plant that pose a health hazard from breathing the air inside the buildings.
But seasonal considerations postpone further testing for soil and groundwater pollution, according to EPA spokesman Chris Whitley. He says that work needs to wait for "a little warmer weather and a little more soft ground."
Whitley says soil and groundwater tests will be conducted in the spring, and the results will be made public.