Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Mon September 17, 2012
Area Nerds Unite: Nerd Nite KC Features Erin Dahl On The Topic Of Silk Worms
Alison Heryer and Jason Kovac started hosting Nerd Nites in KC this past April. Nerd Nites have been described a lot of ways, like where whiskey meets wisdom, and The Discovery Channel with beer.
They were first started in the Boston area in 2003 and have grown to be hosted all around the world. They even publish their own Nerd Nite Magazines which dives into a diverse array of nerdy topics.
So what is Nerd Nite? Basically a bunch of nerds walk into a bar and they listen to a couple presentations. The topics can range from the reunification of Germany to the environmental impacts of bottled water to how to raise silk worms.
This talk features lecturer Erin Dahl who teaches art and art history at The Kansas City Art Institute and Metropolitan Community College. Past courses include the history of underwear and fiber properties. In this presentation she talks about a nerdy thing that she’s done with students, which is raising caterpillars to make silk.
Click on the listen button above to hear her story.