Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Mon October 22, 2012
Akin On ‘Dog’ Comment: Everybody Knew What I Meant
Republican Congressman Todd Akin is defending his statement comparing his opponent, Democratic Senator Claire McCaskill, to a dog.
Over the weekend, Akin garnered national ire for saying McCaskill is like a dog that fetches taxes and regulations from D.C. and brings them back to Missouri.
On the St. Louis Public Radio Program “St. Louis on the Air” on Monday, Akin said that any attention to those statements is just a distraction.
"So you used the wrong word in terms of ‘fetching,’ Maybe you could have used something else. But everybody understood what I meant," said Akin. "We’re talking about bringing regulations. There’s nothing anything complicated about that."
Akin says it bothers him that people would focus on those statements rather than comparing the two candidates’ records.