Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Wed June 5, 2013
5 Things You May Not Know About Caffeine
Every morning, as coffee pots begin brewing, kettles begin to boil and soda cans are cracked open, people all over the world are trying to get their caffeine fix. Caffeine is the world's most popular psychoactive drug, or simply put, the most popular product that changes how your mind works.
And that's what makes caffeine so popular; it wakes us up, boosts our mood and can change our mindset. The history and scientific components of caffeine are much deeper than your average coffee mug, and Bennett Weinberg, co-author of The World of Caffeine: The Science and Culture of the World's Most Popular Drug (Bonnie K. Bealer addition co-author), shared some unknown facts about caffeine.
1. Caffeine is not an addiction, it's a dependency.
Addictions cause your whole life to change, like how an addict to heroin, cocaine or alcohol might ruin relationships and make decisions that will affect them their whole lives. Caffeine can cause its user to become dependent on the substance, but it is not necessary to everyday function like drugs are.
2. There are many health benefits to consuming caffeine
These include improving mood, reducing risk of stroke, heart attack, blood pressure, diabetes and many cancers.
3. Caffeine drinks are the most popular in the world
Above alcohol, water and any other beverage, tea is the most popular drink in the world, with coffee being the second.
4. It wasn't intended to be used in beverages
Caffeine was originally used to protect plants from the diseases from bugs. It's use as a stimulant for consumption for humans was unintentional.
5. Caffeine is a painkiller
For minor aches and pains like headaches and earaches, caffeine is just as effective as a treatment as a painkiller. That's why it's an active ingredient in many painkillers.
To get more of a caffeine fix visit: WorldofCaffeine.com