Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
Up to Date
Fri July 19, 2013
Talking Tannins: Summer Wine
Summertime in Kansas City can be sweltering, but a good glass of chilled wine can be just the thing to cool off.
On Friday's Up to Date, wine expert Doug Frost joins us again to talk tannins. From perfect pairings at barbecues to sultry sips by the pool, we figure out whether you should go floral or full-bodied on your next trip to the store.
Wines tasted on the show:
- Thomas Haag Schloss Lieser, Riesling, 2010
- Morgan Santa Lucia Highlands, Pinot Noir, 2007
Bodega Tamari Reserva, Torrontes, 2011 Reserve
Bonny Doon la Cigare Blanc, 2010 Reserve
Doug Frost is a Kansas City author who writes and lectures about wine, beer and spirits. In 1991 he passed the rigorous Master Sommelier examination and two years later became a Master of Wine. He was the second person in history to complete both exams and eight years later he is still one of only three people in the world to have achieved both these remarkable distinctions. His first book, Uncorking Wine, released in the summer of 1996, is still a staple for many restaurant and retail companies and their staff and management. He has written about wine and spirits for many publications including New York Times Digital, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Underground Wine Journal, Practical Winery & Vineyard and is a columnist and contributing editor for Sante Magazine, as well as the beverage columnist for the Kansas City Star. Doug is also host of KCPT's "Check, Please! Kansas City".
Up to Date