Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
Up to Date
Thu August 15, 2013
The Shifting Face Of Parenthood
Only a few decades ago, it was almost unheard of for men and women to swap traditional gender roles at home. The idea of a stay-at-home dad isn’t so foreign anymore, and these “Mr. Moms” are making their impact on society’s larger ideas of breadwinners and nuclear families.
In the first part of Friday's Up to Date, we talk with Jeremy Smith, author of The Daddy Shift: How Stay-at-Home Dads, Breadwinning Moms, and Shared Parenting Are Transforming the American Family, about the different ideas of shared parenting that families all over the country and of all economic and ethnic backgrounds are seeing.
Jeremy Adam Smith’s writing has appeared in Mothering, the Nation, San Francisco Chronicle, Utne Reader, Wired, and elsewhere. A magazine editor, blogger, and former stay-at-home dad, Smith lives in San Francisco with his wife and son.