Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Tue September 17, 2013
Regents Consider Funding Plan For Kansas Universities
The Kansas Board of Regents will be talking about budget issues this week. This comes in the wake of funding cuts to higher education made earlier this year.
Writing a budget proposal for something as large and complex as the university system takes multiple steps. Mary Jane Stankiewicz with the Board of Regents says university officials have made their proposals to the board. Now the regents will work on distilling that into one plan.
“This will be a discussion and a determination of what items should be forwarded to the governor for consideration,” says Stankiewicz.
Stankiewicz says there will be more discussion between the board of regents and Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback before his budget proposal is presented to lawmakers.
Last legislative session, lawmakers cut tens of millions of dollars from higher education funding. Brownback has said he’ll support efforts to reverse the funding cuts.