Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- KCUR Announces New Host For Daily Talk Show 'Central Standard'
Wed November 13, 2013
The Practice Of Gender-Conscious Parenting
Imagine your young son tells you he wants to play with Barbies. Or that he prefers a purple backpack to a blue one. Perhaps your little girl tells you she doesn’t want a doll for Christmas, but would prefer a monster truck. Would you be uncomfortable?
When raising a child, what gender choices do you make for your child, and what do you let them decide for themselves? What defines a boy as a boy, or a girl as a girl?
On Wednesday's Central Standard we explore the role of gender in raising our children. What does it mean to raise kids in a “gender neutral” way? And how much autonomy should we give our children to make their own choices?
- Lori Duron, author of Raising My Rainbow blog
- Dr. Diane Ehrensaft, Clinical Psychologist with the Child and Adolescent Gender Center in San Francisco and author of Gender Born, Gender Made: Raising Healthy Gender-Nonconforming Children
- Sarah Manley, author of Nerdy Apple .com blog
Up to Date