Most Active Stories
- Hobby Lobby Ruling A Win For Kansas City Construction Company
- The Story Behind Kansas City's House Of Cards
- Johnson County Ranked One Of The 'Easiest' Places To Live In U.S.
- Neighborhoods In Kansas City's Historic Northeast Move Beyond City Ordinance
- Missouri And Kansas Among Worst States For New Parents
Cops & Crime
Tue April 23, 2013
Platte County, MO Judge Imposes Double Life Terms In Murders of Sisters
A 32-year-old Kansas City Northland area man will serve two consecutive life sentences after pleading guilty Tuesday in the killings of two sisters in Platte County.
The killer admitted murdering the pair while high on methamphetamine.
If for some reason Clifford Miller ever walks free on one conviction, his life term will be reinforced by the second sentence.
Miller admitted to killing 19-year-old Britny Haarup at her Edgerton home last July, and 22-year-old Ashley Key who was staying there.
Prosecution evidence said Miller’s sexual advances were thwarted by Key who awoke and resisted the attacker.
The murders happened as Haarup’s 5-month-old and 18-month-old were close by.
The women's bodies were dumped along a rural road.
Haarup’s father told the court that Britney’s family is devastated and cannot imagine having to tell her children what happened to their mother and aunt.