Most Active Stories
- Hobby Lobby Ruling A Win For Kansas City Construction Company
- Johnson County Ranked One Of The 'Easiest' Places To Live In U.S.
- The Story Behind Kansas City's House Of Cards
- Neighborhoods In Kansas City's Historic Northeast Move Beyond City Ordinance
- Missouri And Kansas Among Worst States For New Parents
Tue March 5, 2013
Parenting Our Parents
For most of a child's life, from infancy and into adulthood, parents take care of, support and help their children make decisions. It's an odd experience though when the parents gets elderly and the child has to step in as caregiver. On this Central Standard, we look at how the family dynamic changes when parents can't take care of themselves and how to approach the situation from an emotional and logistical point of view.
Our guests are Deborah Smith from the Department of Sociology at UMKC, Samantha Shepherd of Shepherd Elder Law Group and Dr. Jon Dedon, the Program Director of Lakewood Geriatrics. They discuss how to handle conflicts between siblings dealing with an aging parent, and how to make the process of managing assets less complicated.