Most Active Stories
- What Would A Sprint, T-Mobile Merger Mean For Kansas City?
- Missouri Creates Unique Medical Classification: Assistant Physician
- Food Critics: Where To Find The Best Slice Of Pizza In Kansas City
- Food Critics: The Best Happy Hour In Kansas City
- Here's What You Need To Know About KCPS-Academie Lafayette Plan
Mon March 10, 2014
Only 12 Families Request Transfer From Kansas City Public School District
Only 12 families with a total of 23 students applied to be transferred out of the unaccredited Kansas City Public Schools at the district's expense, the Kansas City Star reports.
The number was reported by the district, which likely breathed a sigh of relief. Many had feared the ruling by the Missouri Supreme Court that upheld a law allowing students in KCPS to transfer to a neighboring public school district with accreditation would result in a mass exodus.
More than 2,000 students left two St. Louis area public school districts after transfers were offered for the 2013-2014 school year.
The Star reports some parents think KCPS are on the way to accreditation and chose to stick it out rather than drive longer distances to drop-off and pick-up their children.
Kansas City Public Schools