Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Cops & Crime
Thu March 21, 2013
Man, Woman Vanish Into Missouri River Without A Trace
The Missouri River swallowed up two people seen jumping from the Kit Bond Bridge at midday.
Traffic was stopped on the span that carries some 100,000 vehicles a day.
Police talked with at least one witness.
Visibility was obscured by snow squalls that whipped the river at the time.
KCUR’s Dan Verbeck gave a description from the site where the river search was launched and ended--“this is Riverfront Park, downstream from the Bond Bridge."
From this point, the Kansas City Fire Department launched boats to try to find a man and woman seen jumping just after 11:30 Thursday morning.
A pickup truck they had arrived in was left in the middle of the bridge.
There was fear at first that there was a baby with the couple, but a witness told police, according to Captain Steve Young, that the woman had a blanket in her arms. Captain Young said there is no proof at all that there was a baby.
But an hour-long search of the river turned up nothing.
Cops & Crime