Most Active Stories
- Missouri Creates Unique Medical Classification: Assistant Physician
- Food Critics: Where To Find The Best Slice Of Pizza In Kansas City
- What Would A Sprint, T-Mobile Merger Mean For Kansas City?
- Food Critics: The Best Happy Hour In Kansas City
- Here's What You Need To Know About KCPS-Academie Lafayette Plan
Wed June 25, 2008
KU Cancer Center Kicks Off First "Bench to Bedside" Clinical Trial
By Elana Gordon
Westwood, KS – Nanotax is a broken down, reformulated version of a commonly used cancer drug. KU researchers say it lacks many of the unwanted side effects of chemotherapy. Phase I clinical trials of the drug officially begin this week at KU hospital's new Cancer Center in Westwood, Kansas. Deputy Director, Karen Kelley, says the trial represents KU's first bench to bedside project.
Kelley: The entire drug discovery was done here, the animal work was done here, and now the clinical work was done here.
Dr. Kelley also says the trial marks a major step in KU's efforts to become a National Cancer Institute Center.
Funding for health care coverage on KCUR has been provided by the Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City.
Download recent health stories or subscribe to the KCUR Health Podcast">KCUR Health Podcast