Most Active Stories
- Hobby Lobby Ruling A Win For Kansas City Construction Company
- The Story Behind Kansas City's House Of Cards
- Johnson County Ranked One Of The 'Easiest' Places To Live In U.S.
- Neighborhoods In Kansas City's Historic Northeast Move Beyond City Ordinance
- Missouri And Kansas Among Worst States For New Parents
Up to Date
Wed December 5, 2012
The Gay Dad Project
Imagine growing up in a pretty standard nuclear family. Then when you’re 15, your dad announces that he’s gay and that he and your mom are getting a divorce.
A Fairway, Kansas woman thought she was the only one in that situation, until she connected with others online who experienced similar situations.
Thursday on Up to Date, guest host Brian Ellison welcomes Erin Margolin and Erin’s father, Larry Best, to discuss their family’s story and how she’s developed a community, The Gay Dad Project, to offer support.
We'll also talk with Gay Dad Project co-founder Amie Shea about her family's story, and how she, Erin, and Jared Karol found each other and decided to develop the network.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION: Did you grow up in a "traditional" nuclear only to find out that one of your parents was gay? Do you have a story to share with listeners? You can call us during the program at 816 235 2888, Tweet us @KCURUptoDate, email us: firstname.lastname@example.org, or join the conversation on KCUR's Facebook page.