Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- KCUR Announces New Host For Daily Talk Show 'Central Standard'
Tue August 27, 2013
Fundraising Group For War Memorial To Tour Kansas
An organization is bringing artifacts from 9/11's Ground Zero to Kansas as part of a nationwide tour.
The Gold Star 11 tour will be making its way through Kansas next month with a unique piece of memorabilia, according to Tonya Evans of the American Fallen Warrior Memorial Foundation.
“We are bringing the only artifact in the world of the anchor block from the World Trade Center’s slurry wall,” said Evans. “ It’s a 10,000 pound piece “
Evans wants the tour to raise awareness for the American Fallen Warrior Memorial, which her organization hopes to build in Kansas City, Kan.
The group needs to raise an estimated $37 million for the project.
The Gold Star 11 tour will stop in Junction City on September 11, Topeka on September 12, Lawrence on September 13, and in Kansas City, Kan. on September 14.