Most Active Stories
Fri July 18, 2014
Food Critics: Where To Find The Best Slice Of Pizza In Kansas City
On a beautiful summer night, stopping by a neighborhood pizzeria for a quick slice (or five) can really hit the spot.
With a handful of exciting new pizza places opening up, Charles Ferruzza and the food critics put out a call for the best pizza in the Kansas City area.
KCUR's food critics recommend:
- Pizza specials on Monday nights, vary from one week to the next - Extra Virgin, 1900 Main Street in Kansas City, Mo.
- Good and consistent - Waldo Pizza, 7433 Broadway in Kansas City, Mo. and 1543 Douglas Street in Lee's Summit, Mo.
- #19 Cipolla e Chevre is a favorite of two of our critics - Spin Neapolitan Pizza, multiple locations
- Sicilian-style, New York-style and Neapolitan-style pizza - Providence Pizza, US 71 South & Main Street in Grandview, Mo.
- Prairie Fire Oven Food Truck, you can track down its location-of-the-moment via Facebook.
- Gluten-free menu with crust that doesn't taste like crackers - Waldo Pizza, 7433 Broadway in Kansas City, Mo. and 1543 Douglas Street in Lee's Summit, Mo.
- Johnny Joe's Pizza, 2109 West 47th street and 103rd and Wornall in Kansas City, Mo.
- Rosati's, 9928 College Boulevard in Overland Park, Kan.
- Sarpino's Pizzeria, multiple locations
- Open Fire Wood Burning Pizza, 39th and Broadway in Kansas City, Mo.
- Bella Napoli, 6229 Brookside Boulevard in Kansas City, Mo.
- Pizza Manifesto, 3951 Broadway in Kansas City, Mo.
- Italian Delight, 8145 State Avenue in Kansas City, Kan.
- Il Lazzerone, 1628 Frederick in St. Joseph, Mo.
- Good thin crust, toppings and sauce - The Pizza Man, 10212 Pflumm Road in Shawnee, Kan.
- Neapolitan and white chicken pizza, nice economical wine pairings, offers gluten-free pizza crust - Coal Vines, 616 Ward Parkway in Kansas City, Mo.
- Neapolitan pizza and dessert pizza, nice economical wine pairings - Blue Grotto, 6324 Brookside Boulevard in Kansas City, Mo.
- Meat-lover's pizza with thick yet crispy crust - Old Shawnee Pizza, 61st and Nieman in Shawnee, Kan.
- The Art of Pizza, 1801 Baltimore in Kansas City, Mo.
- Pizza Bella, 1810 Baltimore in Kansas City, Mo. and 4000 Indian Creek Parkway in Overland Park, Kan.
- Square-shaped pizza on the Independence square - Square Pizza, 208 West Maple in Independence, Mo.
- The Tech 9 pizza - Next Door Pizza, 3385 Soutwest Fascination Drive in Lee's Summit, Mo.
- The crust is "like crack" - Grinders, 417 East 18th Street in Kansas City, Mo.
- Rico's Italian Bistro, 11801 College Boulevard in Overland Park, Kan.
- Johnny C's Pizza, 11200 West 75th Street in Shawnee, Kan.
- St. Louis-style pizza (made with provolone) - Imo's Pizza, 4037 Mill Street in Kansas City, Mo.
- Milwaukee Delicatessen, 101 West 9th Street in Kansas City, Mo.
- Mafia Mike's, 15205 West 87th Street in Lenexa
- Genuine Italian pizza made by pizza chefs from Italy - Four Seasons Pizza and Pasta, 7820 Quivira Road in Lenexa, Kan.
Walt Bodine Show